A lot of the time, talking about periods means talking about what you’re doing to get through the five to seven-day mild hellfire that is the joy of menstruation. We’ve shared a lot of ways you can combat your worst cycle symptoms, including alternative period pain remedies, how to stop your stomach from feeling so ~weird~, and some physical activities to explore on your period (yes, one of those is sleeping — judgment free zone).
But, what we’ve never talked about is *hacks*. I’m talking something weird, wacky, and wonderful that you swear by to battle the period blues. I decided to consult our THINX team and community, being that we’re all total #experts in all things periods. Be prepared… the results will shock you!!! (sorry y’all I never get to write clickbait, so I’m having fun).
1. Amish ice hot cream for my lower back. I go to town on red bell peppers and anything with iron because I become anemic. And, of course, a hot bath and curling up in a ball on the couch in fuzzy PJs.
Sharon, VP of People at THINX
2. I like to scream into a pillow to avoid yelling at others when I don't have chocolate nearby 🙋🏻
3. My go-to during my period is super spicy Indian food — I get massive cravings. I’m not sure if it's because it's delicious or the spice, but it takes my mind off of my cramps!
Laura, THINX Giveback
4. I always stock up on St. John’s Wart and 5-HTP during my period to balance my mood
Anna, Creative Director and Creative Producer at THINX
5. I once put baby Orgel on a tampon thinking it would numb my insides — I was desperate!
6. Clary sage oil rubbed everywhere and mugwort smudge sticks at pressure points—must be done outside because the smell is INTENSE and it always feels like a special ritual that connects me. My THINX are the perfect way to blend my earth-loving menstrual happy ways.
7. Running the day before my period really helps with the severity of cramps. It also helps because I feels super-moody and emo that day, too.
Dan, Operations at THINX
8. Poopuri, portable baby wipes, but i think the weirdest thing is using my vibrator as a uterus / back massager when i have cramps!
9. My mom came up with this one. She buys the little hand and sock warmers from Costco. You know the kind that stick to your sock, and I stick them to the inside of my waistband so that I have a heating pad all day that moves with me.
10. Rub (or drink) cognac to relieve period cramps …. Plus two midol.
Daniella, Growth Marketing at THINX
11. I use my cat as a hot water bottle.
12. CBDs have powerful anti-inflammatory benefits and are natural remedy for pain and help calm the mind. They're your best friend during your period. I even use them to chill out my dog. (TRUE STORY)
CJ, VP of PR at THINX
13. I drink a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar twice a day for a week before my period, try to avoid greasy food (and if that doesn't work, sometimes I have apple cider vinegar three times a day). @babybaer2
14. I put hot water in any plastic bottle and hold it to my stomach when i have cramps! you can't drink the water after though, the heat draws chemicals out of the bottle. but it's a cheap alternative to a heating pad
Jasmin, Designer at THINX
15. When my cramps wake me up at night, I wake up my bf and ask him to get me two Advil then I binge watch Buffy to mentally drown out the pain while waiting for the meds to kick-in enough for me to fall back to sleep.
16. I use A5-35 cooling & heating pads that are used for sore muscles on my stomach for bad cramp days.
17. If I have a severe pain attack I actually use something super-cold (hello green peas from freezer!), wrap it in a towel, and put it on my belly. A hot water bottle just doesn’t help, quite the opposite actually!
18. I shove a heart-shaped “magic bag” (heat pack) down my pants during my commute to work! 🙈
19. Beef jerky and ice cream, preferably eaten in bed.
20. I️ sleep on my stomach with a pillow under my lower abdomen! It sounds ridiculous, but the pressure helps with my damn cramps.
21. I tie a water bottle to the front and back of my stomach with a wide scarf (so I can move around), then end up on the sofa in one position all day drinking hot chocolate.
22. I get my cat to sleep and purr on my belly 😅. It's like a purring heating pad that loves you.
23. I have a lavender-filled blanket that I heat up and wrap around my abdomen. I also swear by this Apothecanna pain relieving body oil.
Jasmin, Partnerships and Events
24. Best cramp solution — downward dog! Gets rid of cramp pain so quickly.
25. Hiding my candy in my tampon go bags.
26. I have a hot water bottle – And I recently wrote the words love, joy and bliss on the bottle, so that the water in there can pick up those vibrations. I love having it around me now 😊💜🙆🏻
27. The biggest game changers to surviving my periods have been: sage tea (an ancient Palestinian remedy said to have been used by the virgin mary to ease her pregnancy pains while pregnant with jesus!?!?!) and a homeopathic remedy called natrum muriaticum which my naturopath prescribed me. Both of these ease my pains and reduce the anxiety. I also like to stick a warm rice bag in the front of my sweatpants.
28. I use Thermacare menstrual heating pads! They are a lifesaver! They are heating pads for on-the-go!! That way I can go about my day and not feel like I’m dying.
29. I buy a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos and a tub of sour cream. I put on a face mask and watch a Harry Potter movie, while dipping the Doritos in the sour cream. Sounds gross but it's so good.
30. I buy multiple chocolate bars and melt them in the microwave at work! Melted chocolate is THE best.
What are your best period hacks? We’ve gotta know! Tell us in the comments!